The Ram Pages

The Student News Site of Willow Glen High School

The Ram Pages

The Ram Pages

Student Volunteer Work

Within the busy academic hallways, all around are students on the search for knowledge or compelled to do assignments as a way to pass the class. Most are content to finish their last years of high school before graduating and starting a new chapter in their life. These are the main factors that are recognized at Willow Glen highschool but student volunteer work isn’t talked about enough. The San Jose Unified School District’s graduation requirement is to complete 40 hours of community service hours.

Although a handful of students finish their community service hours sooner for the purpose to “get it over with” or to avoid stressing about it later, student volunteer work is a strong path for young individuals to contribute to their communities while gaining valuable life experiences. Statistics show that 88% of people who volunteered in the past 12 months improved self-esteem and 93% noticed an improvement in mood. Volunteering includes a variety of activities that may enhance you as a person and brighten the day for others, in addition to helping them.

Students from Willow Glen High School voice their take on student volunteer work and how they feel about it. “I think that the volunteer requirements are a really good way to get students to participate in the community and issues locally. Especially since there’s really no way around it, you just have to get hours,” says Miley Faris (‘26).

Student volunteer work is not just about fulfilling community service requirements or padding a resume. It is an experience that allows students to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others while developing important skills and values. Beyond the immediate impact, student volunteer work is a powerful force for personal growth and a better community.